Friday, March 11, 2016

Saturday at the Quilt Museum - Unusual Album Quilts, Part 1


The first quilt in this series caught my eye, and I'm off again on Album Quilts!  The ones I'm finding this time around are very different from others I've seen.


Reconciliation Album Quilt
Lucinda Ward Honstain
Brooklyn, New York
1867
85" x 97"

The detail on this one is amazing.  Each block is so unique and I'm sure there is a story behind each one.  I wish I knew them!  Apparently it resides in the IQSC Museum in Lincoln.

You can see more here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/arts/design/homefront-and-battlefield-looks-at-civil-war-quilts.html

* * * * * * *
Constitution Quilt
1880

This is another amazing and unusual album quilt.  I can find no provenance on it at all.  It appears that "Old Ironsides" is the center medallion and the block detail is stunning.  Wish I could see this one in person, too.  If anyone knows anything more about it, I would love to hear.

* * * * * * *
Album Quilt
Made for Reverend Fred Winans
Rockland County, New York
1860


This one really caught my eye because of the wonderful variety of color used.  The border is unique.  I don't think I've seen one like this before.

* * * * * * *
Centennial Album Quilt
Burdick Childs Family
North Adams, Massachusetts
1876

I can find no provenance on this one, either, other than what is above.  It just astounds me what incredible depictions are in this quilt.  I wish I knew where it is!

See more pictures here:
http://casitawendy.blogspot.com/search/label/things%20i%20like?updated-max=2010-03-14T06:00:00-07:00&max-results=20

* * * * * * *
Album Quilt
Elizabeth A. Hart & C.A. Covirt
1880-1890
University of Wisconsin - Madison


I tried to find this on the University of Wisconsin - Madison website, but I think it was pinned on Pinterest too long ago to reconnect with the original post.

I just love this one.  But I am curious why the makers didn't use the red wreaths in all four corners instead of having one in another location.  Maybe a "humility" block?  Seems unlikely in a quilt like this, though!  So much intricate work.  And the colors are so vibrant.


Next week we'll continue our tour of these beauties!

Happy Quilting!!


PLEASE NOTE:
- I am not a quilt historian.  I simply enjoy finding interesting quilts and sharing them with you!

- The quilt images on this post were sourced from Pinterest, unless otherwise noted, and are linked to their origin whenever possible.


2 comments:

  1. I like the last one too. It's just beautiful ~ so feminine.

    ReplyDelete